Dear Bar/Bat Mitzvah Parent(s):
Congratulations on your upcoming Simcha! Now that you have been assigned a date for your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, we are pleased to provide you with this B’nai Mitzvah Planning Book as your resource and guide for the next two years. Because I am sure that you are filled with questions regarding the typical sequence of events that will take place over the next two years, I have put together the timeline below for your use.
- Next Steps Meeting – During the date assignment process, we will invite you to a Long-term Planning Meeting during which time we will review the Next Steps Planning Book, and introduce you to all of the clergy and staff that will be a part of you and your child’s ritual life leading up to your simcha. There will be a question and answer period at this meeting to address any questions or concerns that you may have. Our Next Steps Planning meeting has proven to be quite helpful to our families and we strongly encourage you to attend.
- Mechina (trope) Class – You and your child will attend a series of Mechina classes beginning approximately one and a half (1 ½) years prior to the date of your Simcha. We will let you know when your family’s Mechina class starts via letter/email. Mechina class is team taught by the Beth Shalom clergy. For more information on Mechina class, please refer to the Long-term Planning Book.
- Tutoring – Individual tutoring begins after the completion of Mechina class. Congregation Beth Shalom will provide your child with the one-on-one tutoring necessary to ensure your child’s success on the Bima.
- B’nai Mitzvah Planning Meeting – 6 months to a year prior to your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, we will invite you to a B’nai Mitzvah Planning Meeting during which time we will review the details of the upcoming few months, which can be found in the B’nai Mitzvah Planning Book. There will be a question and answer period to address any questions or concerns that you may have.
- Clergy Meetings – If your child needs help with ideas for their 3 Pillars Mitzvah Project, please make an appointment with Cantor Stoehr. 2 months before your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, you and your child will meet with our Assistant Rabbi to go over Aliyot and discuss your child’s D’var Torah. Within the week of your Simcha, your family will meet with Rabbi Melman to review the specifics of what will happen on the day.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah Day – Mazel Tov!
- Friday Night Dinners – Congregation Beth Shalom is offering our congregants the opportunity for Friday night Drop Off Dinners. Drop-off Dinners are dinners that are arranged with a kosher restaurant or caterer which will drop off the food, and we will use our staff to set up the dinner. What a meaningful way to celebrate a simcha, anniversary or birthday! Guests can number up to 120 people. Dinner can be before Friday night services at 5:00 pm or after Friday night services at 7:00 pm. Click on the following links for more detailed information:
For additional information and to reserve your dinner date, please contact Maria Catezone at 847-498-4100 x 26.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming Simcha. Please do not hesitate to send me an email if you have any questions regarding this wonderful event in your child’s life.