Dear Bar/Bat Mitzvah Parent(s):
Congratulations on your upcoming Simcha! Now that you have been assigned a date for your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, we are pleased to provide you with this Long-term Planning B’nai Mitzvah Book as your resource and guide for the next two years. Because I am sure that you are filled with questions regarding the typical sequence of events that will take place over the next two years, I have put together the timeline below for your use.
- Long-term Planning Meeting – During the date assignment process, we will invite you to a Long-term Planning Meeting during which time we will review the Long-term Planning Book, and introduce you to all of the clergy and staff that will be a part of you and your child’s ritual life leading up to your simcha. There will be a question and answer period at this meeting to address any questions or concerns that you may have. Our Long-term Planning meeting has proven to be quite helpful to our families and we strongly encourage you to attend.
- Trope Class – You and your child will attend a Trope Class approximately one and a half (1 ½) years prior to the date of your Simcha. We will let you know when your family’s Trope Class starts via letter/email. Trope class is team taught by the Beth Shalom clergy. For more information on Trope Class, please refer to the Long-term Planning Book.
- Tutoring – Individual tutoring begins after the completion of Trope Class. Congregation Beth Shalom will provide your child with the one-on-one tutoring necessary to ensure your child’s success on the Bima.
- Short-term Planning Meeting – Approximately six (6) months prior to your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, we will invite you to a Short-term Planning Meeting during which time we will review the details of the upcoming few months. There will be a question and answer period to address any questions or concerns that you may have.
- Clergy Meetings – In the weeks leading up to your child’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah, you and your child will meet with the clergy to review specific aspects of the Bar/Bat Mitzvah. Cantor Stoehr will review your child’s progress on his/her 3-Pillars Project, Rabbi Ferratierwill review your child’s D’var Torah, and Rabbi Melman will review the specifics of what will happen on the day of your Simcha.
- Bar/Bat Mitzvah Day – Mazel Tov!
- Friday Night Dinners – Congregation Beth Shalom is offering our congregants the opportunity for Friday night Drop Off Dinners. Drop-off Dinners are dinners that are arranged with a kosher restaurant or caterer which will drop off the food, and we will use our staff to set up the buffet dinner. What a meaningful way to celebrate a simcha, anniversary or birthday! Guests can number up to 120 people. Dinner can be before Friday night services at 5:00 pm or after Friday night services at 7:30 pm. Click on the following links for more detailed information:
For additional information and to reserve your dinner date, please contact Maria Catezone at 847-498-4100.
Again, congratulations on your upcoming Simcha. Please do not hesitate to send me an email if you have any questions regarding this wonderful event in your child’s life.